We’re focusing on platforms this month and Apple’s iOS is still the one to beat. Android has momentum but recent reports indicate it’s still not a serious threat to iOS, at least not on the tablet front. The much-rumored iPad Mini will only reinforce Apple’s position and potentially eliminate consumer interest in other tablets.
Key points from the full video interview (below) include:
- Will Apple ever be a player in the ebook space? — The iPad Mini will change everything. If the specs and pricing match John’s predictions it will be hard to consider buying anything else on the low end. [Discussed at the 1:00 mark.]
- Apple has always been about profit, not share — John provides an interesting contrast between Apple and Amazon. It’s even more noteworthy considering the current DOJ situation and the debate over the wholesale vs. agency models. [Discussed at the 2:05 mark.]
- The benefits of eInk, in a tablet — Apple has been one of the leading innovators with both displays and battery life. It’s only a matter of time before they close the gap and produce a tablet that has all the benefits of an eInk device. [Discussed at the 3:55 mark.]
- Native apps vs. HTML5 — It’s not an either/or situation but it’s still pretty easy to identify the shortcomings of a non-native app on the iOS platform. [Discussed at the 5:18 mark.]
- Future of iBooks Author — Despite a lack of buzz John believes iBooks Author is another important long-term play for Apple. (I’m still skeptical, especially since this tool is only useful for Apple’s platform.) [Discussed at the 7:35 mark.]
You can view the entire interview in the following video.